Bowthorpe Road Methodist Church started life as the Norwich Chinese Congregration, meeting in Taverham and later Sprowston Methodist Church. Growth in the church’s membership prompted a move to Bowthorpe Road in 2014. In November 2018, a new church building extension opened.
- 1998–2002 – The Norwich Chinese Congregation began as a fellowship group held at the home of Billy Wong in Taverham, a village five miles from Norwich. The congregation initially met once a month, but as its membership grew it starting meeting twice a month at Taverham Village Hall.
Growth and the move to Sprowston
- 2003 – With the support from Minister Reverend John Peters, the congregation – then known as the Chinese Congregation Methodist Church Norwich (CCMCN) – moved to Sprowston Methodist Church, Wroxham Road for Sunday worship. At first these were held on alternate Sundays, before moving to a weekly Sunday service. This was a significant step in establishing the church in its own right.
- 2007 – Pastor Edmond Tsui joins the congregation to serve as part-time pastor.
Becoming an independent church within the Norwich Methodist Circuit
- 1st September 2014 – The Chinese Congregation joined the Norwich Methodist Circuit as an independent church with the support of Superintendent Minister Reverend John Fenn. The Chinese church was blessed with its own church building – Bowthorpe Road Methodist Church – and became its trustee. The church’s celebration service featured speakers Reverend Professor Lo Lung Kwong and District Superintendent Reverend Julian Pursehouse. At this time, Pastor Tsui became the full-time pastor of the church.
- 18th January 2015 – The church held its first Sunday service at Bowthorpe Road.
Extending and renovating the church building
- 2015–2018 – Under the leadership of Pastor Tsui, the church embarked on a massive extension and renovation project to cater to the growing congregation. With the support from Norwich Methodist Circuit, a new multi-purpose worship centre adjoining the existing church was approved. The church received generous support and funding from the Connexion, District, Circuit, charities and Bowthorpe Road’s congregration, friends and families.
- 26th November 2018 – The new building opens, marked by a dedication service. The first baptisms at Bowthorpe Road took place the following month, with eight baptised and one confirmed.
- September 2021 – Pastor Stephen Lau joins BRMC as pastor after the retirement of Pastor Tsui.